Monday, October 4, 2010

Don't be afraid of the good fats

Today was endurance training, I had a journal to read so I decided to ride the bike. The journal was so good that I rode almost 20 miles....I couldn't stop reading. I burned a lot of calories, I am trying to gain muscle mass, which means I have to consume more calories today than normal.

The journal I read was on fats, and how your body needs fats. It started off by stating how fad diets are bad for you, which I agree. I believe you need balance in your body, deprivation of a macronutrient is bad, bad, bad. It stated that when most people are trying to lose weight, they get afraid of fat and try and cut it out completely.

What REALLY interested me is that they gave great examples of high fat populations whom heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and obesity are unheard of. One of the populations were historical Eskimo's. Despite consuming an extremely high fat diet comprised of mostly whale blubber, seal fat, cold water fish, and organ meat, this population generally are healthy because there food and fats are natural and unprocessed.

Bottom line: EATING GOOD FATS DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT! Just don't do it in excess and watch out for processed, refined foods. Some examples of good fats that you should consume are: extra virgin olive oil, avocados, pecans, macadamia's, almonds, salmon, and flax seeds to name a few.

Thank you for reading and no matter what shape or size you are, always love yourself!!!

xoxo
Michelle

TIP OF THE DAY:
Before you go grocery shopping, eat a meal. Never go to the grocery store hungry. Many studies have shown if you shop while hungry you will buy more junk foods. Plan out your meals, make a list, and stick to it.