Thursday, May 20, 2010

Core Work

It is a beautiful day in LA. For all you locals I hope you are able to enjoy this great weather. I just got done training, I am truly exhausted. I implemented some new techniques, which kicked my butt. It's really great to be gaining the knowledge I'm receiving through my studies.

Many people do not work on their core which is why I would like to bring it up today. This is such a vital component of your body that needs to be strengthened. The core has been defined as the lumbo-pelvic hip complex, and the thoracic and cervical spine. The core is where the body's center of gravity is located and where all movement begins. Basically, it's what helps keep you stable.

Many adults have chronic low back pain. It's estimated 80-85% of our adult population does, which saddens me. In order to avoid this I encourage you to strengthen your core. Pilates is EXCELLENT for core work, there our also a number of simple exercises you can do in your home. One example of a core exercise is the basic plank, (Prone Iso-Ab). Please start strengthening your core and let's get this percentage down.

Thank you for reading and no matter what shape or size you are, always love yourself!!!

xoxo
Michelle

TIP OF THE DAY:
If you are planning on training for 60 minutes or more, grab a sports drink and sip on it throughout your session. Your body NEEDS the carbohydrates and has to replace fluid loss (I was unaware of this until recently). It is the reason why in EVERY sporting event you will see coolers on the sidelines, on the court, in the rink, etc.