Monday, June 14, 2010

Post Exercise

It's Monday and the sun is shining here in LA. I got up pretty early this morning and have gotten so much accomplished. I just trained, had a great day, did my treadmill routine. In my treadmill routine I use hand weights, sprint, incorporate intervals with hills, and perform walking lunges. It's a full body workout that burns many calories. I spend around 50 minutes on the treadmill, then I do a ten minute ab routine.

Today I wanted to share some really great information that is pretty basic but most people are unaware of. It's called excess post exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC). The general definition is: Elevation of the body's metabolism after exercise. To explain it easier it simply means that after you exercise you burn more calories because you've heated up your body. A trainer I know explained it best like this: If you drive your car and park it in your garage, a half hour later your car will still be warm. The same relates to your body. You burn more calories after you workout.

Now, knowing this I dare you to get up 10-30 minutes earlier tomorrow. Pull out a jump rope, do jumping jacks, run, walk, etc. Perform some type of exercise that gets your heart rate up and you will burn more calories throughout the day and have more energy. You can do it, c'mon what's 30 little minutes.

Thank you for reading and no matter what shape or size you are, always love yourself!!!

xoxo
Michelle

TIP OF THE DAY:
Cut an apple in half, spoon out the seeds and fill with peanut butter. This is a fabulous, healthy snack. The peanut butter is good fat and protein as well as the apple has phytonutrients and good sugars your body needs. It's delicious and will keep you full. Give the other half to someone you love!